Saturday, May 18, 2013

Writing: Third and Fourth Drafts?

When I write, I try to write as fast as possible. I don't worry about what I'm writing so much as, I'm writing. 

It sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. 

For instance, if I'm listening to a soundtrack as opposed to a playlist with lyrics, I tend to get things down faster and I think more clearly. But not always. It just depends on the day sometimes. 

One of the things I constantly see when I'm reading writing tips is this; revise revise revise. 

They say sometimes you need to write up to four drafts of your piece. Maybe even more. 

In the words of a very wise and applauded woman of our day and age..."Ain't nobody got time fo dat!" 

I hate revising. A lot. It's not at all my cup of tea. I can do the proof reading. That part is easy. But changing the words I've worked hard on? That's tough. 

Usually, I only have two, sometimes three drafts. The first draft is obvious. It's sometimes good, sometimes not. 

The second is my proof reading. Spelling errors? Grammatical? Did I a word out? Does that paragraph need to stay? Do I need to expand on that point? How can I improve the flow? 

These questions are forefront in my mind when I edit. 

I also add things here and there. Maybe I missed a point or I need to rewrite something to clarify it, but that's usually in the second draft as well. 

After that though, I don't do much. I re-read like crazy. Sometimes I wonder why I'm reading it this many times over, but I do it anyway. 

I think it's my way of being insecure about my work. I'm constantly trying to read it from the eyes of my potential reader. 

But I don't really do much more in the revising department. I don't know if that's a lack of insight, or if I'm just too prideful about my work. I just KNOW it's perfect. It doesn't need anymore help. 

But what do I know? Usually, the author is the harshest critic. But in my case, I think I give my work too much credit. 

Pride. My fatal flaw at times. (Other times I don't even have an inkling of regard for my work, much less pride for it. I flip flop.)

This post was written in just two drafts. How do you think I did? 

6 comments:

  1. It really depends on the story for me, but most of the time I try to get a story done in four drafts: In the first draft, I just write. I write the story. In the second draft, I edit big plot mistakes/holes and things that I need to change that will change big themes in the story. In the third draft (which takes the longest because it takes the most observation) I look for spelling and grammatical errors. In the fourth and (usually) final draft, I clean things up a bit, change wording, and try to make things flow and look as professional as possible. Once my polishing is done, I send the story out to agents. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that's how I'll do it when I get to editing my novel! (Ugh! Once it's finished that is. ;P)I have so many plot holes and ridiculously unreal characters already! I'm only 40,000 words in! Though when I edit it, it probably won't feel natural. I don't even want to think about editing a whole novel or novella yet! >_<

    Oh have you got any agents interested? :)I don't even know how I would go about sending out! I'll cross that bridge when I come to it I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! XD No bites (yet)! I'm still waiting on two or three agents to get back to me.

      I can help you, if you'd like! :D I've worked with some really great writers on my query letter and I know some great sites that can help you out.

      Delete
    2. That would be awesome! But is that only for novels? I haven't finished mine and I doubt I will for a while. Or could you do short stories? I'm rather ignorant of these matters. ;)

      Delete
  3. This was really great advice:) By the way, I recently did a writing post on my blog and would love to know what you think:)

    Layla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!

    I went and commented. :)

    ReplyDelete