Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Unicorn: A Story in Episodes

So this is my story that I'm going to be posting every Sunday! (Hopefully. Can't promise anything in the summer.) 

I would love your honest opinion! 

The Unicorn

The unicorn didn't fit in the room. He was just too large. 

"How are we ever going to manage this?" Asked Laura. 

"Hush!" Said Nathan. "I'm thinking!" 

"Well that's an annoying thing to do." Put in Daniel. 

"Shut Up!" 

"Fine. Grumpy face." Daniel stuck out his tongue. 

"So, if we put the unicorn in the yard, everyone will see it. And those pesky Mr. And Mrs. Davis will call the police and we'll go to prison for illegal possession of mythical creature and if Mom and Dad see it, we'll get worse than prison. Possibly worse than death." 

Daniel shuddered. "Lecture."

"Sounds about right." Said Laura. She crossed her arms over her chest. "So whatcha gonna do about it?" 

Nathan sighed. "I don't know." 

"We could put it in the garage!" 

"No Laura, my dad's car is in there. He'd kill me if something happened to it." 

"Hey I know!" Exclaimed Daniel. "The treehouse!" 

Nathan rolled his eyes. "Genius." He replied, raising his eyebrow. 

"Fine. Whatever." Said Daniel. He was tired of this whole mess. "I'm going to go watch The Avengers." 

"Again?" Asked Laura. "Haven't you seen that like, five gazillion times?" 

"Maybe." Replied Daniel. "But it calms me down. It's like an old friend that will always be there when I need a pick-me-up." 

"You're weird Daniel." Said Nathan. 

Daniel bowed, Mountain Dew in hand before sauntering to the TV room. 

"We could put it in the basement." Said Laura after a moment of thoughtful silence between the two. 

"I thought about that. But how will we get it down the stairs?" 

"Magic!" Laura replied. Her eyes glinting with mischief. 

"We don't have any magic Laura! And even if we did, we wouldn't know how to use it!" 

Laura furrowed her brow. She was biting her lip in that adorable way that Nathan loved. 

"It seems you mortals are in need of some help." The deep voice had come from the living room and brought Nathan back to earth. 

Laura looked at him. Her grey eyes betrayed her fear. 

Nathan glanced around the room but could see no one. 

He cautiously moved to sit by Laura in case he needed to protect her. 

"Who's there?" He asked. 

"Are you afraid? You really shouldn't be. I've been here the whole time. If I wanted to attack you, I would have already." 

"The whole time?" Said Laura. "But how? We searched the house before bringing the uni..." She trailed off. She looked at Nathan with wide eyes. 

He seemed to have come to the same conclusion. 

"Launem? Is that you?" 

The unicorn tossed it's head. 

"About time you figured it out my dear boy. But my name is Gerald. Launem is the most ridiculous name I've ever heard. Where did you get it?"

Laura stayed silent. She had been quite proud of the name. It was original. 

"Uhh..." Said Nathan. He glanced at Laura who gave a slight shake of her head. "It doesn't matter." He finally decided. "Can you help us?" 

"Perhaps." Answered the unicorn. 

"We need to find a place to put you." 

"Why can't I just stay here? The grass is positively delightful!" Gerald took a huge bite of the carpet and began chewing it thoughtfully. 

"No!" Exclaimed Nathan, jumping from his seat. "Oh no...my mom's gonna kill me..." He ran his hand through his thick dark hair in dismay. "Why would you do that??" He demanded of Gerald. 

"Becauf it tazes good lil' hoomen." Gerald had his mouth very full. 

"Dont chew with your mouth full." Muttered Laura. 

"Well excoof me!" Gerald was trying for indignation but it failed when a bit of chewed up carpet fell from his mouth. 

"Ewww!" Exclaimed Laura, moving as far away from it as she could. 

"Forry" 

"You are a disgusting creature." 

Gerald just looked at her with disapproval. 

"Umm, guys. Why is the unicorn eating the carpet?" Daniel had come back. 

"What happened to the Avengers?" Laura asked. 

"Needed a snack. But why is it eating the carpet?

"Because it tastes good." Replied Gerald. 

Daniel dropped his Mountain Dew. "Launem can talk??" 

"Daniel!" Nathan exclaimed, leaping forward. "My mom just bought this carpet! Oh man..." He rushed to the kitchen for some paper towels. 

"Sorry." Muttered Daniel. 

"His actual name is Gerald." Said Laura. 

Daniel raised an eyebrow. 

"Gerald? What kind of a unicorn name is Gerald?" 

"An honorable one!" Protested Gerald. "I'll have you know puny human, my great-great grandfather had the name Gerald and he did many mighty deeds in the war of-" 

"Yeah, we don't care. Shut up Gerry." Interrupted Daniel. 

"Humph. I was going to offer to solve your problem for you but since you can't be nice, I think I'll let you figure it out yourself." Gerald said. 

"Fine by me!" Said Daniel turning his back and crossing his arms. 

Nathan came rushing back into the room paper towels in hand. 

"Daniel!" Laura moaned. "We need him!" 

"Oh man oh man oh man..." Nathan muttered. 

"Nathan! Are you there?" Called a voice from the front door. "Could you come unlock the door for me?" 

"Mom!" Exclaimed Nathan. He turned to the unicorn. "Get yourself out of here Gerald! I don't care how just do it!" 

"Well you don't have to be pushy." Gerald replied. He tossed his head and instantly, all four of them were in a place  they'd never seen before. 

"What did you do??" Cried Nathan. 

"I saved your hide. Go ahead, thank me." Replied the content looking unicorn. 

Nathan gave Gerald a look. "Not on your life." He mumbled. "This is the most ridiculous place I've ever been to! Nothing looks normal! Where are we?" 

"Nathan," Daniel said, picking  a starburst from a nearby tree nonchalantly. "Did you have no childhood? We're in candy land!" 

4 comments:

  1. I really like this.
    I love when fantasy is interwoven with the modern world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like that aspect too. :) (I like your blog by the way! :)

      Delete
  2. This was really funny and mysterious! :D I have a couple suggestions. 1. There was a lot of dialogue (and good dialogue), but there wasn't a whole lot of description. I wanted to know where they were, what they looked like, and what they were doing mixed in with the talking. 2. Everything moved WAY too fast for me to catch up. This goes with number 1. Slow things down a bit for everything to get processed. Other than that, great job! :D I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack. I did consider describing more. I will next time. :) Thank you for your thoughts! I really do appreciate them! I wanted to use this as a way to improve my dialogue writing but I think I shall benefit from using my description muscles as well. :)

      Delete