Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Writing Environment is Everything

Environment is important. 

When you write, you want to be able to concentrate on what you're writing instead of thinking about that new movie you're dying to see that hasn't even come out yet. (Desolation of Smaug anyone?) 

I find that night time is the best for me. The world is quiet and there's no chance of being interrupted. (And when I say night, we're talking midnight to wee hours of the morning. Probably not good for my health.) 

A mall would not be ideal for me and probably a lot of you too. Noise is abundant while peace, is not. There is usually dozens of screaming children running around. Not good for my mood or my writing. 

But on the flip side, being around people can really help your writing. 

You hear how people converse. You hear different speech patterns and you see that there are many different ways people converse with each other. 

They gossip, they rant. They sometimes don't reply to something. Maybe they do with just a nod or exasperated sigh. Body language is a very human thing. We can see into people's thought with just their expressions. 

Don't believe me? Go people watching. People will betray themselves with their tones and expressions. 

I read that it helps a lot to just write down people's conversations. This can be a tad creepy, but I've heard it helps. I've yet to try it though. I'll get back to you on how it goes sometime. 

I've heard a lot of people love to do things outside. Study, read, write, whatever. But I can't seem to do that. I get really distracted and while, when I do do my work, it's often a lot better than if I was inside, I get so sidetracked and distracted that it's not even worth my time. This makes me really sad because I would love to write outside! I just can't...

Another block for me is the Internet. I get really backed up on my writing because I'm always going on my blog and writing posts (like now) or responding to comments or commenting on other blogs. (I'm kindof obsessed with blogs.) I need to just turn off the wifi, and go crazy! Write like mad because sometimes, I'm just not in the mood. And when that happens, I get REALLY far behind. 

What's your best writing environment and time of day? What's your worst? 

No comments:

Post a Comment