Wednesday, May 22, 2013

So You Want To Write?

Many say it.

"I want to write a book."

Writing a book (though I've never actually finished one. Working on it.), is difficult. But it's fun and you will definitely learn something from it. I know I've learned a lot from it!

Why should you? In the words of Jeff Goins: "Because it's hard."

Everyone should have to do at least one hard thing in their lives.

So writing a book. What do you need?

Well you have to have an idea for a story of some kind. Novel, novella, short story. It doesn't matter. You'll be writing and that's enough.

Finding ideas can be easy too, you just have to know where to look.

Did you have a dream about rabid monkeys invading an ice cream shop and stealing all the cones from the poor nerdy girl who works there? Hmm. Sounds interesting!

Do you see fairies and goblins in the gardens and forests outside your house? Bam! Story idea! (Or mental illness. Get yourself checked out, then proceed with the story writing process.)

There are stories all around us. I was reading a blog a couple weeks ago written by a girl who had just published a novel set in the aftermath of the Japanese Tsunami. She knew where to look for a story, our world. (www.siennanorth.com for anyone curious)

So now, you have a story idea. What next?

Now you'll want to add your main character.

She/he might have come pre-packaged with the idea (I.e. nerdy girl who works in ice cream shop), or you may have to create your own main character (I.e. fairies and goblins are all well and good but you probably want a main character to interact with them).

Next, side characters.

You don't have to come up with them all now. Just one or two sidekicks and/or a love interest. 

You'll want characters who can be charming, 3D, and believable. And by that I mean, the sidekicks need to be pretty in depth people. We shouldn't be able to see that you threw them in for added humor or to kill later. (Guilty...) They need to be developable. Three dimensional. And they need to be relatable. Or they'll fall flat.

They need goals and motive just as much as your MC.

Dustfinger. Will Turner. Annabeth Chase. Murtagh. Halt. 

The sidekicks. The ones the MC can't live without. (Or maybe they'll have to! *evil laugh*)

You need a world to put them in. Are they going to live in Texas present day? During the reign of Queen Elizabeth? In the land of Cacklmaginklefas? Whatever you want! But if the place is real, make sure you do your homework. It would be pretty embarrassing to set them in Romania but not know that Romanians drive at alarming speeds all the time and the country is still recovering from a communist rule. Those are pretty big things! Do your research!

You'll need a plot as well. You can either sit down and just start writing, (the Pantser method), or you can map your way first (the planner/plotter). Find the right fit for you and go with it! I find it easier to do a little bit of both honestly.

So what's stopping you? Anyone can write a book if they really try to. It'll be fun! You comin?

Go, live your dream. -Ruffian, Tangled

10 comments:

  1. Here's some advice so nobody makes the same mistake I used to make: MAKE SURE YOUR CHARACTERS ARE DIFFERENT. All of my protagonists used to have the same personality (spunky, nerdy, outgoing), all of my secondary characters used to have the same personality (gentle, shy, nervous), and all of my villains used to have the same personality (evil, evil, evil). Make sure you change the personalities up a bit. Great post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I know how that goes! I used to do the same thing! All my female main characters were what I was and what I wanted myself to be like; athletic, smart, good at fighting, bookworms, not afraid to speak their minds, confident. It made them boring. They had virtually no flaws. (Except my current MC is whiny. I really have to work on that...)

      "Evil evil evil" XD This cracked me up!

      And thank you! :)

      Delete
    2. Ha ha! XD No one likes a whiny MC!

      No problem! :D

      Delete
    3. *Nods in agreement* No one. (Except the love interest. I actually have two and even I haven't decided which she should end up with...it has plagued my mind because I'm in love with both. My MC seems to be as well. It's quite ridiculous.)

      Delete
    4. Maybe you could have some sort of ambiguous ending and the reader has to decide who she ends up with. ;) (Although that could be potentially frustrating . . .)

      Delete
    5. I could do that...but I think I could be a tad more evil if that's possible...hehe. I want to turn it into a series so that might be more difficult..,

      Delete
    6. Ooh, yeah if it's a series that wouldn't really work (at all . . .). Maybe kill one of them? Or have one of them fall in love with someone else? That would make the MC jealous (I think) and make things more complicated.

      Ha ha, here I am trying to help you and instead I'm making things more complicated. ;P

      Delete
    7. Ah, see that's the thing...one is already in love with another but she's not who he thinks she is. And I may or may not be planning for him to go missing at the end of the book...*sigh* I think his life may be too complicated, poor boy. Haha

      Delete
    8. Gosh, being a god of an alternate universe is HARD. ;)

      Delete
    9. Hahaha! ;) It is indeed!

      Delete