Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Better Idea Than The Last! (Maybe)

I've come up with a new idea! I've been brainstorming a lot recently. My blog is still kindof in it's early stages so I'm constantly coming up with new things I could do! If this idea is dumb, go ahead and tell me. I can probably take it. ;) 

I thought it would be fun to have a writing prompt once a week and post what we write in the comments for each other to comment on! (For those of you who read the Write Practice, can you tell I read them too? Except this would only be once a week. And it's differentish because it's not accompanied by a lesson and the time limits may change.)  

For instance, "Write for twenty minutes and describe your favorite teenage memory." (Not a very good one perhaps but you get the idea.) Then I would post the piece I had written in the comments and you could tell me how you think I did (In a nice way!). Then you could post yours and I'd do the same for you and so on. 

The purpose would really just be to get us writing and maybe spark an idea for a short story or maybe even your WIP! Also to receive constructive criticism on how to improve our writing. I know I need this desperately. :) Sometimes the prompts will be vagueish like; "When was the first time you ride a Rollercoaster? Describe the event and feelings you had in detail." Or it could be something like, "He was an idiot. I don't know why I bring him anywhere." Then you would use that sentence to either put in your WIP (to get you started for the day.) or just to start a new short story or maybe a piece that will never get farther than what you write during the time limit. But we'll be writing and that's the goal! 

If we don't practice, how will we ever become good at our craft? 

I'm not sure I'll do this because if no one participates it'll be sad for me to be the only one. So! If you would participate in a weekly writing prompt and help critique other's writing; raise your hand! 

If you think it's a pretty lame idea, give a thumbs down and the reason you think it's lame. (Please be gentle. My skin is about as thick as a balloon.) 

Side note: This summer I'm going to be gone a lot. Starting June 3rd, I'm not going to be able to use the Internet for at least two weeks, if not more. I will try to get on after that but I can't make any promises until Fourth of July week. Thankfully I'll be free then. I'm going to try to get Blogger to still post pre-written posts during that time but I don't know how it'll work. If there's problems, just know that I will come back sometime to fix them. In light of that, if I do the writing prompts, I will only be able to participate in 3 before summer hits full force. (I plan on having them on Thursdays if I do them.) Would you still want to do them or should I wait till late August when I'll really be able to fully come back to blogging?

2 comments:

  1. PLEASE START THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!! :D It sounds awesome! :D

    I have a tip that I think might help when giving criticism: Say two things you liked and one thing you didn't like. Be honest, but don't be mean. I don't like it when people don't like my story, but I take what they had to say and use it to make it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha :) Ok that settles it. We're doin it! Thursday I'll post the first one! :) That is a brilliant way to do it! I'll put that in every post with the prompt so people don't forget. :)

      Delete