Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Snippets of Story (Spring)

Oh I'm excited for this!!

This post is part of a link-up I discovered on the blog Whisperings of the Pen! The idea is to post "snippets" from your various WIPs all in one post and link it to the original post. I thought it was a splendid idea so here are my "snippets"! (Some you probably have read.)

~My Medieval Idea With No Name~

"Hail!" Replied the crowd. 
Arthur took his seat and the rules were read. The audience grew more and more tense. Soon it would start. Soon. 
Rachel looked again at the tall knight on the dapple grey stallion. Her heart gave a little flutter. He was looking at her. She waved shyly. He nodded almost imperceptivly. 
A wide grin spread across her face. 
Soon, the rules were finished. The knights went to their places in the lists. Her knight would be the first to joust along with one of the toughest looking others. 
The flag was dropped and both horses thundered along the track. Lances came up. Rachel held her breath. Her knight set himself. The impact. Oh! The big knight flew backward off his saddle. Her knight had won! 
Rachel let out her breath and laughed. It was a moment fitting for a laugh. 

~The Unicorn~

"You're weird Daniel." Said Nathan. 
Daniel bowed, Mountain Dew in hand before sauntering to the TV room. 
"We could put it in the basement." Said Laura after a moment of thoughtful silence between the two. 
"I thought about that. But how will we get it down the stairs?" 
"Magic!" Laura replied. Her eyes glinting with mischief. 
"We don't have any magic Laura! And even if we did, we wouldn't know how to use it!" 
Laura furrowed her brow. She was biting her lip in that adorable way that Nathan loved. 

~To Save the Lost~ 

The silence grew so heavy that they could almost hear it. occasionally, a bird would screech, startling them all and shattering their thoughts of safety. Ria's heart would race knowing that they had finally been caught and she would be forced back to her castle. The plight of her father would remain unheeded and she would likely die of misery. But every time, it was just a regular bird. 

"Cooper?" She called. "Would you help me with this?" 
He looked up with a scowl but seemed to decide it wasnt worth it to fight with Ria. He walked over. 
"What is it?" He asked. 
"You tied my rope too tight." She said, tugging on the rope as if to prove it. 
Cooper sighed and set to work undoing the knot. 
"you don't seem okay." Ria said after a pause. Her eyes were full of concern as they looked unflinchingly into Cooper's. 
he dropped his gaze first. 
"I just...I need time Ria." 
"I know. But maybe talking about it will help." 
Cooper rolled his eyes. 
"you are not my mother. I can handle myself!" As he said this, he pulled hard on the rope. Instead of coming free, it snapped in his hands. He sighed in frustration.

"Did you really think you could beat me Victoria Eadell? I am darkness. I am the core of every nightmare. I am death herself. Your quest is doomed to fail. Your father will die and you will live your entire life haunted by the knowledge that you could not stop it."

~Thursday's Writing Prompt~

I see ahead the glistening sight of my savior! Water! I begin to run toward it as fast as I can, it's hard in the sand of the desert but I manage. Water is ahead and I can taste it already. I run directly into the glittering pool, expecting to feel the cool water on my legs. Instead I feel sand. Endless sand. I collapse on the ground and sob. This is the last straw. I give up. I just want to die already. Nothing has gone right for me the past few weeks. Kidnapped, beaten, interrogated, then finally left in the desert to die. 
Only I haven't died. It's been days and I have no water. Yet I live. I cannot believe my bad luck.


~My Slice of Heaven~

The small flashes of white, brown, red, blue, and black dart through the trees before me. Never have I seen so many birds. The symbol of hope in any world. I take a deep breath and lie down on my back. My eyes are closed but I can feel my surroundings. 
The soft green canopy tints the light, giving the air a fairy like feel. The brown of the tree trunks adds a perfect contrast to the vast number of flowers that blanket the forest floor. I can smell the laziness of the air. It's warm and full of scents and tastes wafting past my face. The smell is intoxicating. 
So many flowers in one place mixed with the scent of damp earth and growing trees is enough to make anyone want to stay forever.
I can feel the trees growing. They are whispering secrets to one another. I can hear them. Another sound, the most prominent, is the birds. Twittering and chirping. Their songs perfectly embody happiness. The light, lilting feeling, and the sharper almost laughing aspect.
This is happiness. 
My little place in the woods. 
My little slice of heaven. 

~A Write Practice Piece~

I can't believe it. After all I've done for him. After all we've been through he still says nothing. He knows we both feel the same way. Yet he remains mute. 
"I give up on you." I say. "You don't care about anyone." 
Chris jumps up. "No Meghan that's not it! I do care...I just..." 
"Are a coward." I reply. I don't give him another look. I know I've crushed him. I know it's going to be painful for both of us. But I can't remain mute. I can't stay silent after this. It's for the best. My eyes fill with tears but I turn away so he doesn't see them. He must never know how much this hurts me. Gosh, can't do it. I turn around and bury my face in his shoulder. My arms are around his neck as tight as they will go. I can't give him up now. After a surprised pause he wraps his strong arms around me. 
"I love you Meghan. I always have." He whispers into my neck. I don't reply. I am being suffocated by my feelings. 

As you can see, I do a lot of random stuff! Hope you enjoyed them! And don't forget to check out the original post

P.S. Sorry for the random different fonts and formats. I have tried and tried to fix them but they're  stubborn and I am not.



No comments:

Post a Comment