Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Best Books I've Ever Read



I love books. I always have, and I know I always will. And I'm pretty sure I've read more than I would ever be able to count. But I thought I would share my favorites.

It's funny...most of these books I only read because they were on my free reading list for school and I HAD to choose one. Now I'm so glad that I did. :)

Note: These aren't really in any particular order. Just when I thought of them.


•Little women by Louisa May Alcott

A truly amazing story. It's about 4 girls and their mother. (or Marmie) And about their trials and victories growing up. I will never get tired of it. Although, Jo on occasion gets on my nerves because she doesn't realize how truly amazing Laury is. I read it and all the time I'm thinking: Pick him you idiot girl! Can you not see that he is the best??? *ahem* anyway.

•Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

This book was REALLY hard for me to stick with, but it was completely worth it! Another book about girls and growing up. But this one is more the romance side. Mrs. Bennet's sole goal in her life is to get all her daughters married to wealthy men. Mr. And Mrs. Bennett are the best. :)

•Peter Pan by J.M Barrie

This is a beautiful book. So sweet and such a great story. The boy who never grew up. Living on an island called Never-never Land. (P.s. Peter can fly! Coolest thing ever!!) I think every child should HAVE to read this in Elementary, middle, AND high school.

•The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss

I adore this book. A family on their way to New Guinea is shipwrecked and forced to survive with only what's on the island and what they can salvage from the ship. I read somewhere that most of the science-y stuff in it is made up but that just took the joy out of it for me. I refuse to believe that. I would definitely recommend this book!

•Five Little Peppers by Margaret Sidney

This is an adorable book. Another book about a poor family's life. This family seems to be able to find joy out of any and every situation. The little girl's relationship with all her siblings and especially her brother, may not seem very realistic but it's incredibly touching all the same. :)

•The Treasure Seekers by Edith Nesbit

Again, the relationships between these siblings is fantastic. And they are all so endearing. I really don't think anyone would be able to read this without falling completely in love with the Bastables. The main plot is the Bastable children trying to help their father by restoring the Lost Fortunes of the Bastables! They get themselves into so many scrapes trying to earn more money. (They even go so far as to kidnap a rich man on the highway!)

•Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

What can I say about this book? It just makes me incredibly happy...read it. You probably won't ever be the same. I guarantee you will fall in love with Elinor, Mo, Meggie, Farid...and Dustfinger. The very best character in all of fiction history if you ask me. He is amazing. I can't even describe him. The movie only scraped the surface of this incredible story.

•The Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

Shannon is an amazing author. (Authoress?) She can paint pictures. With words more beautiful than most I've read. (Although T.A Baron comes in a close second.) The princess academy is set in the mountains of a fictional world. The village girls must go to an academy with a harsh schoolmaster (I don't like her much) in order to become ladies the prince can choose from for his bride. But many things go SO wrong...

•Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

Ah, Shannon again. This book is a fantastic romance-y type book. But it's so much more than that too...a young princess and her maid are locked in a tower for 7 years. Her prince comes to visit her occasionaly but one day he stops. The girls have no way of knowing why. But the mind of the princess is frail. I really didn't think she would come out sane...


So there they are! My favorite books! (That aren't in a series) I think you should go read some of them. :)

Did I miss any? What are your favorites?

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm getting too many signs from the universe to ignore the fact that I must read Inkheart. I love Princess Academy! :D Our homeschool book club read it--much to the boys' dismay . . . at first--and (almost) everyone loved it! :D

    Um, Harry Potter?!?! That would be number one on my list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really should read it!! I can't even explain to you the awesomeness...:)

    Oh Princess Academy :) Such a beautiful book! Have you read the sequel? I haven't but I'm not sure I want to. It sounds really weird and I'm pretty sure her and Peder break up. Maybe. Don't quote me on that. Haha!

    I'm not actually allowed to read Harry Potter. Spells and all...but I have heard they're very well written. I have a lot of friends who love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the sequel yet, but I have it on my TBR pile (which is miles high and is spilling out from under my chair all over the floor)! ;)

    Oh, that's too bad. :/ It is seriously one of the greatest books ever.

    ReplyDelete