Wednesday, September 18, 2013

When You Don't Feel Like Writing (Part 1)

"Writers block. No desire to write. Feeling like a time bomb. Need to get away." I sit shaking on my bed. Curled into a ball. I can't think about writing.  I need to get away. But what will my characters do without me? I brush away my exhaustion and pull my notebook toward me once more. I know something's wrong the moment I do. I begin to heat up. I shake uncontrollably and I realize what's happening. "I'm going to explode." I stutter. I widen my eyes in fear, and then, nothing.

This is me today. And I know you've felt this way too. We've all had those days. Days when we would much rather watch that new episode of Psych or Warehouse 13 (My personal favorites) rather than write. 

Maybe you'd rather play the Legend of Zelda or the Sims. 

Maybe for you it's reading that book you've been meaning to read for months or reading every post in the archive of your new favorite blog. (I've wasted hours doing just that.)

So what do you do when this happens?

You really wanna know? 

I say...just do them. Yeup. You heard me. 

Go watch that episode. Read the book. Play Zelda. Poor Link so desperately needs to be a Hylian again. He's sick of wolf form. 

I'm serious. If you feel you just need a break, chances are you do! 

You're creativity needs to be open to new things. 

It needs to take a walk, eat some ice cream, read new materials, get some fresh ideas, and soak in some more inspiration. 

It's impossible to just sit down and write for days. (Plus sleeping a couple hours.) 

You need adequate sleep, fresh air, new information. You're brain needs to be free. Because if it's not, you're work will gradually become worse and worse. 

You'll wonder, what's happening? Why can't I write as well as I used to? Why don't I want to write anymore?

Simple. You're killing your creativity. It's being suffocated. 

So to avoid that, I suggest doing something you enjoy. It might be just what you need to enjoy writing again. 

2 comments:

  1. I call it writer's brainfreeze. And yes, I, too, am stuck in the land of Brainfreeze. http://adventuresoflifeinthe21stcentury.blogspot.com/2013/08/blog-post.html is my WIP that is stuck in the second chapter, paragraph numero dos. :)
    To Beth From Beth ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writer's brainfreeze. I like that!

    ReplyDelete