Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What I've Learned From Tolkien


Tolkien has been a huge part of my life for a long time. When I was little, my dad read me the books, starting with the Hobbit. 

My sister and I fell in love with the books. We talked about them, begged dad to read them when he was tired, and altogether fell in love with them. 

After the books, we watched the movies. And that was my new obsession. I loved the imagery, the music, the characters. Everything about it made the world brighter to me. 

It got so I could quote them to a T. I wanted to learn more about the actors and how the movies were made. We bought the extended editions and I devoured them. 

And all the while, I believe Tolkien was teaching me valuable lessons. 

This is a list of some of the things Tolkien has taught me. I hope he's inspired and taught you as much as he has me.

1. There is beauty in the simple things of life. In good tilled earth, being with friends, second breakfast. Life's too short to speed past these things. 

2. No matter what, there is always hope. No matter how many obstacles you have to face, you can always believe in hope and in God. 

3. There can be humor in even the bleakest situations. Learn to laugh a little. 

4. There is nothing quite so exciting as traveling. Of being in a strange place that can make you feel so insignificant and so important all at the same time. 

5. Music feeds the soul. You can always enjoy good music. Even if you "have no songs for great halls or evil times". 

6. Friendship trumps all barriers. If you have a friend you can count on to have your back, you have almost everything. 

7. Something evil would probably "look fairer and feel fouler." 

8. The world is so much more vast and mysterious and exciting than I could have ever guessed. There's always something new to see and do. 

9. And lastly, when you're hungry, it rains apples. ;) 

What has Tolkien taught you through his stories?  How has he impacted your life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment