Saturday, September 14, 2013

Divergent (A Book Review)



Ah Divergent. I read this book all in one sitting.  I was up until 2 am and ended up doing a lot more crying than I thought. I may not have full on sobbed, but inside I was being torn to shreds.

Toward the middle of the book, it was at a really intense part. I was on edge, it was late, when out of nowhere, a earsplitting clap of thunder sounded. I jumped nearly out of bed and just kind of sat there. Staring at my window. One of my friends says that usually means my house was struck by lightning. Whatever it was, it scared me to death. Reading is a hazardous activity.

Back to the actual book, I loved the characters.  I loved the setting. I related well with Tris. It was fabulous. I was immediately pulled in. The voice is so clear and easy to read and I connected with Tris almost immediately. It's rare that a character's voice sounds so much like myself. I kept seeing myself in her thoughts, which usually just means the author is good at making relatable characters. But for this, it seemed more than that. And it scares me, because some of the things she did later, I don't agree with. But she didn't at the beginning either. It makes me wonder what I would do in a situation like hers.

My favorite part of the book was the fact that it gave you clues of things and it wasn't impossible to figure stuff out. Example: Agatha Christie, while I adore her, it's pretty much impossible to figure stuff in those books out. But in Divergent, I could predict things a little bit before they happened. And I LOVE that. But it wasn't entirely predictable and boring.

The theme was really good as well. At the end, one of the characters said something that to me just SCREAMED biblical worldview. And God had been mentioned a few times but I honestly thought it was just for Tris's character. So on the last page, I just knew Ms. Roth had to be a christian. And sure enough, I flipped the page to the acknowledgements and God is number 1. I was so happy! :)

And let me just say, the five different groups, So. Awesome! I wouldn't have been able to come up with something that logical. I mean, the five factions make sense. It's crazy how much I could see that actually happening. It wouldn't work. But I could see it happening.

Overall, I loved it. Twists,  stunning characters,  good dialogue. It's a phenomenal dystopian book and I highly recommend it! Five stars!

2 comments:

  1. Now you need to read Insurgent! :D The cliffhanger at the end makes you want to hop into a time machine and go to October 22, 2013 so you can read Allegiant before anyone else can (mwa ha ha)!

    Let me ask you this: what faction would you be in? ;) I'm in Amity, according to every single Divergent quiz that's out there. That would've been my guess, anyways. ;P ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Insurgent checked out from the library but to be honest, every time I open it I only make it to about page two before I can't seem to go anymore. Especially because of the first sentence. It kills me inside and I don't want more emotional pain...sounds silly I know. Haha. I will read it eventually though.

      Actually, I'm not sure what I would be. Divergent maybe. I took a quiz and got one of every answer...I could relate a lot with Tris's thinking so maybe Dauntless? But then, I'm not good at the physical aspect of that faction. Maybe Erudite cause I adore learning. But then, I could be Abnegation too! That's why I say maybe Divergent. Cause I'm not really strong in any of them. Haha

      Delete