Monday, July 1, 2013

"Actually Finishing Something [in] July" Link-Up Party

I love writing goals! It's so helpful to have a place where other people know about your goal and can encourage you toward it. 

I am a huge fan of Katie over at The Whisperings of The Pen and she's hosting an "Actually finishing something in July" party. Every Monday there will be a post with a link up and fun questions about your WIP to answer on your blog! 

I would encourage you all to head over and check it out for yourselves! The more the merrier! It's going to be a blast! 

I know accountablilty will be huge for me. Last year during NaNoWriMo, I was really close to losing. I was going to give up. But I had told my best friend about it. He was always asking how it was going and talking about my writing. It encouraged and challenged me to keep it up. I finished just in time and was able to win! One of the greatest feelings in the world is actually finishing something you've worked hard on. 

I'm really excited about this! It's going to be a great oppurtunity for me to keep going during the summer months. 

So here's my answers to the first questions! 

Week One Questions:

1) What is your writing goal? 

5,000 words. We'll see how that goes, I have a lot of stuff going on this month. But again, the accountability should help. 

2) Give us a short synopsis of your project. What makes it unique?

My WIP is about a princess who's sick of her royal life. Her father went missing 7 years ago and now, as she nears her 18th birthday, she learns from a new friend that he is alive. Determined to free him, she sets out with Cooper, the new friend, and an old one to find him. But can she trust Cooper? Is he really on her side? 

As far as uniqueness, The race of my characters is special. Long ago they lived in Arin, the land without tears. The people then could shift to any animal form they wished. But something happened. No one knows what. But the All-Father had to banish them from their home. They would lose their shifting ability and would be forever human. But the All-Father took pity and allowed them to choose one shape. The people decided that flight would be the worst to lose so they chose birds. They could change from human to bird at will and they have been that way ever since. 

3) How long have you been working on this project? 

Since November 2011...it's been a long time in progress. 

4)  How often do you intend to write in order to reach your goal by August 1st? 

I'm going to try to write every night but I don't know how easy it will be. But I suppose that's the point, challenging! 

5) Introduce us to three of your favorite characters in this project.

Victoria (or Ria) Eadell. Princess of Arinsia. She's 17 years old and has seen more grief than many in her kingdom. Her father disappeared 7 years ago and her life has been void of the happiness a girl of her rank and age should have. Despite that, she has always been an optimist and is encouraging to be around. She is cheery and laughs a lot. Very good at hiding her pain. 

Cooper Hwane. A handsome boy of 19. His family has long been the enemies of the royal throne. But Cooper and his mother are (sortof) secretly loyal to the Eadells. (It's complicated) When Cooper meets Ria, he finally sees a way to get back at his father and the Vul-Raks for everything they've done to him and to Ria. He is intent on helping her. But is that really all there is to him? 

Sandor of Domin. An elven prince from the seaside country of Domin. Handsome and charming. Instantly makes Ria feel at ease when she's around him. Proud and strong but with a definite soft side. His temper could be his undoing. He knows a secret way into Rak-Ar, the evil land and accompanies Ria, Cooper, and Marty on their mission. 

6)  Go to page 16 (or 6, 26, or 66!) of your writing project. Share your favorite line or snippet on the page.

Page 36: 
"Would you stay if your father was here?" Cooper asked abruptly. Now Ria stopped. 
"Yes, but he is not here. Thank you for the reminder of my greatest sorrow!" She began to stomp off but he grabbed her shoulder with excitement in his eyes. 
"I'm a Hwane!" He said, pausing to let that sink in. But Ria just stared at him blankly. Cooper grinned. 
"I know where he is!" 

7) Tea or coffee? 

Tea all the way. I'm actually drinking some right now! 

9 comments:

  1. Beth, this is awesome! I can't wait to read more about your WIP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Katelyn--Katie for short! You can call me whichever you prefer. :)

      Delete
    2. By the way, my sister loves the name of your blog. Rainbows and Penguins is a winning combination. Who wouldn't love that?

      Delete
    3. I got it right! :D Haha! Thank you! I rather like it myself. They are a fantastic combination! :) (P.S. The comments went wacko and deleted. So it says "this comment was deleted by the author" but I didn't mean to. Silly Blogger.)

      Delete
  2. Ooh! Your book sounds really fun! Bird shape-shifters are fun! (I have a few myself in one of my series. It'll be a long time before they finally show up however ...)

    I wish thee luck in completing thy goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love shape-shifters. They've always intrigued me. :)

      I thank thee!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that sounds awesome! I am doing Camp NaNo at the moment so I might do this....but maybe not! We'll see! :L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I forgot about Camp NaNo! I did the April one but failed miserably. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thanks - I'll need it! D:

      Delete