Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Chased By A Minotaur

So I was driving to my best friend's house yesterday. It was the first time I'd driven there by myself and I was excited.

On this particular trip, I was being followed rather closely by an annoying fellow driver. Naturally, I began to imagine they were following me. It was only logical right?


Well after that, I began to think in the eyes of Percy Jackson the demigod from the book series. I started to wonder if that car was REALLY just a car. It could be anything and my poor mortal brain would not be able to see it in reality.

In my mind, I now saw that car for what it truly was, a huge, angry Minotaur. And I'll tell you now, I do not like to drive fast. Which posed severe problems to the fact that if that Minotaur started to chase me, I would have to drive fast or die.

Neither of these options looked very good for my safety. On one hand, I couldn't just let myself and my sister be torn to tiny little pieces by a giant bull-man wearing only his briefs. But on the other hand, what would happen if I, who only drove to church and the grocery store a few blocks away, tried to outrun the beast? Would I be able to prevent the entire car from careening at break-neck speeds into a stray phone pole? Doubtful.

It was looking very bad for my situation. Whatever I did, the beast would almost surely be able to kill us both. It would reach my car and pound the entire roof in.

At this realization, I turned to my sister to apologize. She looked so blissfully happy and unaware of the danger coming up on us, I didn't want to tell her. "Let her stay in her little bubble of safety for just a little while longer." I thought ruefully.

So instead, I turned up the radio and kept careful watch on the "car that was not actually a car".

Surprisingly, it made absolutely no move to attack us in any way. I waited and waited but it still remained a car and not a killer bull.

"Beth, you are being paranoid. The car behind you really IS just a car." But despite how many times I told myself this, I still remained in fear of this invisible beast.

"When will it strike? I wonder if it'll hurt or if the death will be instant? Maybe Percy will come and kill it before it tries to eat us!" These thoughts were flooding through my mind and I couldn't seem to get rid of them, or the nervous feeling in my stomach.

I was at the point where I thought for sure I would die just from the fear when we arrived at my friend's house. I slowed down and carefully turned into her driveway, watchful in case it followed.

To my amazement and relief, we were not followed. It wasn't out to get us after all! The relief was so intense, I laughed out loud.

It was my undoing. I could hear the beast begin to wail and the horrible sound of it running toward us. I let out a scream and frantically tried to park and unbuckle my seat belt at the same time. Somehow, I managed.

As I reached the door, the entrance to freedom and continued existence, my sister screamed. It had got her. The guilt of leaving her behind overwhelmed me and I turned to see.

It was at that moment I was lifted off the ground by my feet. I had only a second to smell the horrid stench of the minotaur's breath before I too was swallowed.

And that is why I should not be able to use my imagination while driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment