Thursday, April 30, 2015

Anyone? By Angela Scott//I'm Mildly Scarred Forever

I think I need a therapist.

I finished the book Anyone? by Angela Scott last night at about...ohhhh 2:30 am.



I got the book on my kindle app (I'm too cheap for a real kindle) cause I thought "Hey! Mildly interesting looking book for .99 cents!" Mildly interesting-ha! 


The end of the world? That’s the stuff of Hollywood blockbusters and deep philosophical exercises in school. No need to sweat it. So when sixteen-year-old Tess’s doomsday-dad builds a bomb shelter in their suburban backyard, everyone thinks he’s gone crazy….
…Until fire rains down from the sky, sinking whole cities into colossal craters and setting much of the world ablaze.
Tess’s dad gives her a few short minutes to gather her emergency bag and her freaked-out kitten, then leads her outside and into the underground shelter. Terrified, the last thing she expects is for him to leave her there all alone, but he has no choice—he must find her missing brother.
Before leaving, he makes Tess promise to keep the hatch door shut, not to open it for anyone but him, and to stay put until he returns.
But he forgot to tell her one thing: What is she supposed to do if he never comes back?

I was totally enthralled by the blurb and I was not disappointed. 

The book doesn't give us any time to get to know Tess before things happen and there is almost no back story to her. As much as I thought it would be weird, I kind of liked it. It felt like, when it's the end of the world, I don't care about who she was. I need to know who she is now. And that's what I got.

I was surprised though because I figured she would stay in her bunker the whole time for some reason. Silly assumption, I know. 

When she leaves the bunker to find her town in ruins and no one in sight, I was super terrified for her. That's one thing this book does very well. It pulled me in and I felt everything. Even the bits that it didn't tell us her exact fears and emotions at the time, I felt like I was there. 

Eventually she finds someone to help protect her. I was not sold on him at first. As soon as interaction with others entered the book, Tess seemed less and less realistic. The things she said and thought didn't sound like something a real person would say and think. Even some of the decisions she made seemed entirely forced and plot-based.

That didn't stop me from being hooked till the end, but it did make me question the author's credibility for a while.

Pretty soon though, the plot picked up speed and gathered SO MUCH depth. Oh my word. So crazy.

I started to question everything the book had told me. Heck I questioned Tess' sanity for a LONG time. Still do actually.

The end though. The END.



I had to read the words "the end" about 5 times before I resigned to the fact that it really was over. And THEN, searching for a sequel I found na-da. The reviews on amazon acted like it was the end and most were unsatisfied with it.

FOR GOOD REASON. GAH.

I was pretty distraught until I found these words at the very end of the blurb:

 Watch for the second book in the Anyone? series, Anyone Else?, coming in 2016.

2016??

I literally had to stop and think of what year it was in the hopes that 2016 was next month. It's not by the way.

But oh the relief that these thousands of questions I had would be answered eventually! I have many theories. One involves a piece of poisoned sardine. (But I'm pretty sure that isn't it.) 

BY THE WAY. I totally had a dream that I was the main character in this book (with a completely different spin obviously cause my imagination)! I don't know if I have EVER dreamed (dreamt?) about a book so kudos Miss Scott!

All in all, I thought it was a great book with just enough "edge of your seat" suspense to keep it exciting while keeping with the "how would we survive in the apocalypse?" stuff to satisfy a girl who is mildly interested obsessed with the "what did they eat? what did they wear? What did they pack?" logistics. Yay planning! 

I will definitely be keeping up with the release date on this sequel they're promising. I dearly hope it doesn't disappoint. This series has great potential and I would hate to see it wasted.

Have you read Anyone? What did you think of the end? Do YOU like books that make you question the sanity of everyone in them? I sure don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment